Monday, February 15, 2010

Outstanding!

http://www.planetsrk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23452

By Wafa/ USA

I went to see the film without any expectations of “falling in love again”. We have been following all updates on MNIK for a year now and everything prepared me not to expect the typical movie masala (unfortunately) that we all love to watch including the colors and dancing. It is no secret that I love Karan Johar and his movies I think he is the best story teller and this film was no different.

The first half of the film was flawless and did not waste any time unfolding with flashback story again but this time it was done by having Rizwan narrating as he begins his journey to see the president of USA. It progressed so charmingly captivating Rizwan’s endearing character and allowed him to creep into our hearts and get under our skin and Mandira’s skin as well which explained how she could develop her feelings for him. There were outstanding emotional scenes but not many romantic sequences that I would love to see SRK/Kajol pairing have in a film so I feel the chance of having the Jodi was not cultivated to my satisfaction as a fan so it was wasted maybe due to the seriousness of the theme.



I can only remember 2 romantic scenes
Spoiler:

when she asked him to marry her and the scene in bed at after the wedding


In the second half things got a bit confusing to me geographically.


Spoiler:

I know Rizwan was on a trip to go to WA DC but was chasing the president around wherever he went, but from CA or AZ desert how or why did he end up in GA? This wasn’t clear to me...
Spoiler:


I also thought the scene in GA was not necessary and the film could have done without it. It just didn’t feel realistic especially when he had to go back from CA to GA for second time. Though technically they had done perfect set to portray GA but the clothes and ambience had given me the feeling it was in early 1920 or 1930.


I wished the second half had more of SRK/Kajol scenes together although it’s understandable due to what the story and role given probably restricts this option. I loved the scene of Rizwan and Mandira in the football field it was strikingly tense and it stood out.

The film depicted a lot of what Muslims suffered post 9/11 in USA, highlighting that many innocent people had to pay the price and still do. it pointed out some injustice done by the media when selectively trying to cover the stories without attempting to get to the truth. It also touched on how quick law enforcement could be in misjudging individuals and going by their own presumptions based on race or religion.

When it comes to performances, I feel if I said SRK was awesome is like telling him how to do his job. I know that there is nothing that SRK couldn’t do, and there are no roles despite how challenging they might be that he couldn’t master. I don’t know how a person with Aspergers syndrome would act but SRK made me believe he was different and actually had that challenging syndrome, with his fixed eyes, body language, and with his impaired speech; a complex portrayal of such a simple character that cannot show emotions. After this role I challenge any idiot out there who might accuse SRK of being “srk” or doing same roles.
Kajol, as usual was fabulous and remarkable with distinctive presence. Not another Anjali or Simran in this film, skillful actress and perfect for this role.

Other casts done very well, I thought young Sameer was wonderful I liked him.

I loved the music, I think my favorite was Tere Naina but every time I hear Noor-e-Khuda or Sajda I get Goosebumps, they make my heart sing.

The movie is Brilliant I recommend it to everyone and I give it 4/5 stars.


1 comment:

  1. Wafa, I think your words make up my review as well. Your questions and your observations. I am not Muslim but can feel for someone who is being oppressed for religious reasons.

    ReplyDelete