Monday, February 15, 2010

We shall overcome

http://www.planetsrk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23458

By Jaya/USA

I have never felt this touched by a Hindi Movie – and that’s how I’ll start this review as I am not being able to start in any other way!

Life has its complications, its fast lane – it is headed towards that end where we’ll be in a day and time when nothing else will be left to be lost. Perhaps it’ll take us that day to realize that we are moving too fast – taking too many short-cuts, jumping into too many conclusions. As I sat through My Name Is Khan, all that I could think of was that I wish I could be like Rizvan Khan – I could have those eyes to look at the world through, I could have those thoughts to believe in, I could have that clarity of mind, that power of reason, and that love for life. OK! I’ll probably try making it a review and not overwhelm you all with my emotions!

The Story:
Rizvan Khan (Shah Rukh Khan) was born with Asperger’s Syndrome – and in being who he was, he grew to be a person who was different, but not indifferent. Armed with power of a common man, he is no visionary – but his vision is not blurred by preconceived notions. He is not fighting against a system – but he is a part of the system in which he represents a change for the good. He is not complaining or making fun of anybody – he is just his good self. In the film, he meets and falls in love with a Hindu single mother (Mandira). An amazingly kind and just person, Mandira has fought her share and has brought up her only son Sam in a world where she had to start from nothing. Finally they get married and lead a happy contended life till a world-tragedy changes their lives altogether. Mandira tries to respect her identity as the wife of a Muslim person but circumstances push her to seclude herself from him. Therein begins the journey of Khan – a journey inspired by love, a journey to prove his innocence, a journey to stand up for who he is, a journey to instill that faith in every human heart – that yes, with truth and conviction, with goodness and clarity, each of us can overcome the obstacles that we face in life. But for that, every one of us has to believe and respect.

The Message:
I’ve probably made a big deal out of it already – because this movie has really touched my heart – beyond everything – any religion, any faith, any belief. MNIK hasn’t tried to be defensive – it hasn’t stood by one and cursed the other, it hasn’t shown undue preference to anyone. Because if one of us dies, morally that’s the beginning of the death of everybody. If one of us falls, it’s the fall of mankind, if one of us falters, it’s the beginning of the end for all of us. And that’s where I believe the strength of the movie lies – in not glorifying anybody, in not reaching out to anybody – but in being a vehicle for everybody, in being a message for everybody, in being an inspiration for everybody.

The Technicalities:
Performances: It’s beyond anything I could ever imagine. It’s another feather in Shah Rukh’s Crown, it’s another gift of love from him to all of us (fans, non-fans) – it’s probably SRK’s attempt at telling the world that we need to be good – it’s probably the best way for him to show to us that he stands up for what he teaches, for the change he wants to reflect, for the love he wants to spread and the happiness he wants to see the world brimming with. Kajol is fantastic – she’s real, she’s true blue and she is breathtakingly spontaneous. The love in her eyes – for Rizvan and for Sam are beyond words, her body-language is awesome and the way she carries herself makes her the adorable Mandira that we meet on screen. And what can I say for the chemistry, physics, mathematics between them. Watch Mandira’s eyes as he looks at Rizvan, watch her smile as she thinks of him or acknowledges him – and you’ll be overwhelmed by the love in her heart. As for the supporting cast – Jimmy Shergil, Tanay Chheda, Zarina Wahab, Soniya Jehan, Chris Duncan, Jennifer Echols, Vinay Pathak – everyone’s put in their natural best – they have suited their respective roles to the T and have made MNIK so realistic and possible. A Big Thanks to everyone.

Direction, Screenplay, Music, Cinematography etc: Are simply world class. The plot holds its strength, the camera work delivers the visual impact, the sound of the whole movie comes out as a huge strength in delivering the message. In fact, this is second time in my entire life, that I couldn’t feel the background score of the film separately. It has so well been blended with the look and feel that you just don’t ever feel that you are listening to a different sound. Karan Johar – a standing ovation for you for having made My Name Is Khan. To have picked up such a topic, handled it with so much maturity and sensitivity, and to have given it such a fine and awesome power – hats off…

Spoiler:


Scenes to watch out for:
1. Rizvan says to the Airport Authority that his message to the American President is “My Name Is Khan and I am Terrorist” – it shook me up, made me go mad inside with the urge and need to believe that the world was not so messed up.
2. Mandira proposes to Rizvan – it’s so natural and beautiful. It touches you deeply and the way Rizvan blushes leaves you hoping you knew someone so pure at heart.
3. When Rizvan asks Mandira to take him to Banville with her – the love and longing in his voice hits you very hard.
4. The “I…. for Dumbos” book, the “It’ll take more than 1minute” part cracked me up. It had so much fun – but maintained that child-like innocence. Never did it come out cheap or offending.
5. When Rizvan says that it doesn’t need a time or a place for a prayer (namaaz) – it requires the right intention.
6. Rizvan’s interactions with Mamma Jenny and Funny Hair Joel – so heart-warming and lovable.
7. Rizvan’s interactions with the person at the Desk at the Fundraiser Ceremony.
8. Rizvan’s face-off with the Extremist Doctor – education can make you a learned person but it takes an open heart and mind to be a good human being.
9. The build up to the climax and the final part – just amazing. Lot of people actually clapped at the end (including me). Especially Kajol’s voice-over at the end. What she couldn’t win with vengeance, Rizvan walked through it with love and conquered it all.
10. A special mention of the many emotionally intense scenes along with the addition of Johar’s touch of humor. My eyes welled up but I ended up knowing that I had overcome the fear and pain with Rizvan’s innocence and power.


Well – I guess I can go on and on and I will whenever I get a chance again. MNIK is an experience worth a lifetime – it’s a belief, it’s an effort at reaching out to everyone in this world, and it’s a triumph of humanity. The goodness of the heart knows no boundaries, knows no disabilities, knows no intentions of harming anyone – it knows the happiness of being true, it knows the truth of being good and it knows the goodness of being human. Go Rizvan – more than anything else, this world now needs your healing touch…

My Rating - ***** (Outstanding, Marvelous)

No comments:

Post a Comment