Friday, February 12, 2010

Reflections on an emotional experience

http://www.planetsrk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23393

By Chris/ Australia

Please don’t be scared off by the first paragraph!



I’ll confess from the outset that I am a little suspicious of KJ as a director. I sit through his films with a mental pair of scissors and snip, snip, snip this scene and that which I find unnecessary, at odds with the tone of the rest of the film or plain illogical. For me he intersperses delightful elements with What the…? moments which usually leave me frustrated.

So it was with trepidation that I went to see MNIK - a film I want to succeed like no other before! I had tickets booked for two back-to-back sessions – to be able faint during the first and scrutinise during the second. I’m glad I did because the first session is just a blur of tears to me. I started about 5 minutes into the film, an airport scene, and I didn’t just cry, I sobbed! In some scenes my seat was shaking so hard I was sure other people in the cinema could feel it. Some scenes are so emotionally charged and heart-rending, so beautifully composed and acted that they left me gasping for breath. I’m sure some of my reaction was due to what has been happening with the movie’s release this week, not just the stress and tension, but also drawing my own connections between the purity of Rizwan’s heart with that of our own dear srk, and the traumas and challenges Rizwan faces throughout his life with the darkness surrounding our own most beautiful hero. That story in itself is a saga of courage and integrity that needs to be written one day!

But back to the movie. For the first two hours the film had me riveted! The complex strands of the storyline and attendant issues are woven together like magic. To see the world through Rizwan’s eyes is like clearing away the detritus of superficiality – we suddenly see through to the core, so what is really important stands clear. Its the same world as mine, only looking through a different filter so the view changes. I am helped to understand how the world can have such different interpretations and each equally valid. At the same time he lets us into his own personal sphere, things I personally know nothing about – Aspergers, faith, prejudice, a world seemingly gone mad. All this he does with just a look, a simple thought or gesture. Its insightful and subtle. Rizwan’s monologue throughout the film is utterly beautiful and paradoxically complex – from the simplicity of the words expressing the deepest of feelings to the voice, so alien to srk, delivering an emotionally charged monotone.

I can’t imagine anyone seeing this and not being moved by it, the characters, their situation and indeed the condition of the whole world. Sadly, although the events use 9/11 as the catalyst for tragedy and conflict, the themes are universal across time and place.

There are moments in this film which are locked in my heart forever now, both happy and tragic, teeth clenching and adorable. I don’t want to mention them due to spoilers, but I’m sure once we have all seen it, a thread for ‘Favourite Scenes’ will flow into page after page. For me there is a scene in a church, a tribute to fallen ‘soldiers’ which even now, thinking about it, makes me feel teary.

However I wasn’t happy with the final 30-40 minutes of the film. It felt like a different person had taken over the controls. I’m sure we’ve all seen references to a hurricane, and a media element, so I’m not giving anything away to say they were a problem for me. It stopped being personal, the view no longer came from within Rizwan, but rather focussed on how it was being reported, and the situations became unbelieveable and a little clichéd. It would have been sufficient for me if Rizwan saved himself, Mandira’s love and continued to open my eyes to his view, without having to save all of America! (metaphorically). Such a shame, as until then I would have had easily given the film 10/10. My little scissors started to snip, snip again!

A final comment on the actors. I can’t say I really saw anyone apart from srk, Kajol, and the children. The young Rizwans were wonderful, as was the son. Kajol – at first I felt her character seemed a little hysterical and loud – then I remembered the interviews I’ve been watching the last few days and they were pretty well identical – and for that I loved her. As the film moved on, tragedy strikes and she was unbelieveable!!!! I had no idea she would be so good! At one point I felt her pain so keenly
Spoiler:

I wanted to rush to the phone to make sure my son was allright
I had been very curious as to how they would portray the relationship growing between Mandira and Rizwan, he is so odd at first meeting! But its moving and totally convincing.

Srk is a utterly mind-blowing! I’m sure this will be repeated again and again, but I can’t praise him enough. The depth with which he plays the character is totally awe-inspiring – the look, the posture, the voice, its like he has never have been anything else but Rizwan. He makes no attempt to look beautiful, but he is utterly divine - the goodness radiates from him and he shines. Again srk’s eyes speak to us, but what a challenge to do so when they can’t look at us. I am at a loss how he managed to achieve this!

So many of Rizwan’s characteristics, apart from the obvious physical peculiarities, are memorable. For instance his efforts at understanding about comfort are just heart wrenching, where his whole body language suggests he is fighting against himself to do this. His achievements, small and big, are a triumph, and in fact the small ones are the ones which had the most meaning and soul. I hadbeen stressing over whether the character would be true to Aspergers or not. Well I guess that’s for the experts to decide and as it turns out it didn’t matter – I love the character with all my heart! I truly believe in him and wish him a long and happy life!

SRK – you have floored me yet again!
Stolen my heart and soul!
Be safe and happy my darling man!

No comments:

Post a Comment